Aloha Lions Ohana,
It has been a while since I sent out an update, and for that, I apologize. I want to start this update with a big mahalo to On's Refrigeration for our AC installation and C&C construction for our water fountain installations. We are still working out the "bugs" for both systems, but things are looking up! In addition, I want to thank the Audio Visual company for our new cafeteria audio system and Mr. Randy Molina for our new outdoor speaker system by A building. Both systems are working great and sound amazing! Now, onto announcements.
- Tomorrow 2/16/2023 and Monday 2/20/2023 there is no school.
- Yesterday our spring PTA Regal Bakery fundraiser tickets went out. Please support the school in our efforts to continue to improve the school with things like the new outdoor system which was funded by the PTA.
- Three new after-school activities are starting, volleyball, track-and-field, and ukulele. We are still accepting applications for the ukulele class. Please turn in any forms to the office by Wednesday for the ukulele class. Also, note that classes may be canceled due to weather for both volleyball and track-and-field.
- We are still looking for coaches who would like to volunteer to coach football, baseball, and basketball for both this year and in future years. If interested please contact me in the office.
- We are also still in need of someone to monitor our bridge area before and after school. If you are a parent who walks their child to school and picks them up, this may be the job for you. Please inquire at the office.
- On Friday, February 24th HPD will be conducting a sign-waiving event in front of the school in the morning to encourage drivers to slow down to protect our keiki. If you would like to support we welcome anyone who would like to lend their voice. We all know how badly some people speed down Gulick ave. and hopefully we can prevent a future accident.
- I have two volunteer opportunities for parents or family members to announce.
- First, on Friday, March 3rd, 8:00-10:30 (ish) is our Read Across America day where we have people read a book to students and then share about their careers. We are in need of a few more people from any career to volunteer, especially if you are in nursing, construction, engineering, or any science-based career.
- Second, on April, 15th from 8:00-11:00 at Kaimuki High School, we are in desperate need of judges for the Honolulu District Elementary Speech Festival. Judging is easy and anyone can do it. Please go to bit.ly/HDOSpeech2023 or call me at the office if you have questions. Feel free to share that link to anyone you know who may be able to help. We need about 80 more people.
Ok, everyone, that is a LOT for one day. Thank you so much for your support, help, and kindness. We greatly appreciate you and everything you do. Have a wonderful weekend and remember, We are the Lions. We are the Future!
Daniel Larkin, US Navy (Retired)
Kalihi Waena Elementary
Home of the MIGHTY LIONS!
Primary email: [email protected]
Secondary email: [email protected]
School address: 1240 Gulick Ave. Honolulu, HI 96819